09 Jun Have we been going about marketing WRONG?
Digital Entrepreneurs vs Human Interaction!
Let me explain myself:
For years we have been taught that in order to optimise marketing efforts we need to classify businesses as B2B (business to business) or B2C (business to consumer), so we can customise our content accordingly.
B2B is more formal, use technical words to look smarter and perfect (of course, you are the expert). In the B2C group instead, BRANDS tend to be humorous, quirky or adventurous — whatever. Even though this personal tone would help you create a more natural rapport with your audience, the content will still be created from a safe distance.
.…The B2B and B2C era has ended!
The thing is, we were going about marketing wrong. Underneath it all, we are humans. Whether you’re the CEO of a multimillion company or the founder of a start-up, you are a big bag of emotions and you respond to emotional things. So, I believe it’s time to stop thinking that you are in B2B or B2C. You’re actually in H2H.
At the core of Human-to-Human Marketing is an understanding that people crave real interactions with BRANDS. Humans want to buy from humans, not automated bots. That means that customers want personalised experiences. They don’t want to be another nameless, faceless buyer. They want to matter, to know that you’ve taken the time to care about who they are, what their struggles are and what they love.
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.Maya Angelou
Marketing has evolved, and your BRAND should as well
Consumers now demand transparency from #entrepreneurs and BRANDS — They want to feel special and integral to your success. If you can’t do that, you’ll lose them to a competitor that can. How are you incorporating human-to-human marketing into your business strategy?
How to add HEART to your brand
1. Start by asking questions
What they love; how they feel, what makes them happy…By knowing better the human behind your audience you can deliver more customised experiences, which is essential for providing VALUE and in turn business growth.
2. Be Real ➝ Be Human
Don’t be afraid to tell your story. Sharing your highs and your lows make you more human and relatable. Don’t worry about perfection. Write as if you are speaking to an actual person and your message will be well-received.
3. Provide Value
Be open to helping without expecting anything in return. We find that freely offering advice and gaining a trusted, loyal customer is far more powerful than cold calling a prospect, listing your services and asking if you can help them — something so many BRANDS are doing online. Don’t drive your consumers away with unplanned marketing but draw your consumer in by offering purposeful VALUE.
Take away these top tips!
- Integrate personalised marketing into your strategy as a way of saying “I am listening so I know what you want and what you need”
- Engage with your audience on social media. When you interact with them on a common playing field they can see you’re just as Human as they
- Be empathetic toward your audience’ lives and personal struggles. There is no better feeling than seeing a commercial or post that makes you think, “Yea, they get me”
- Be inspirational — Humans want to feel inspired to be themselves, to make their lives better, to strive for success
- Incorporate humour in your content. It can break down barriers and win over your audience because joy and happiness ensures your audience will come back for more